Security/Security - 12-Months
Alexandria Community Schools – Alexandria Monroe Jr. Sr. High School and Intermediate School
Position: School Resource Officer (SRO)
Reports To: Superintendent
Service: 190 Days/Year
8 Hours/Day or as needed to fulfill responsibilities
Compensation: TBD based on experience and length of contract
1. Successful completion of basic SRO course from NASRO (National Association of School
2. Duly authorized law enforcement officer through the Alexandria Police Department. SRO
must continually fulfill necessary requirements to remain in good standing with that agency.
3. Ability to serve as a resource for teachers, parents and students for law-related concerns and
questions. Serve as a mentor for Alexandria Community School students.
4. Ability to serve as a resource in areas which may affect the educational environment and may
5. Ability to serve as a classroom instructional resource for law-related topics.
1. Enforce federal, state and local traffic and criminal laws and ordinances.
2. Assist school officials with enforcement of school policy and regulations regarding student
3. Protect persons and property on school premises; work through school administration to
address concerns related to school safety, including building security, transportation, emergency
response and evacuation plans.
4. Perform all duties while armed and in professional attire that is appropriate for the activities at
5. Coordinate with the building principals to investigate and assist in the prosecution of violations
occurring on school premises; gather information concerning criminal activity involving students
on or off school grounds, effect arrests as necessary and appropriate.
6. Provide classroom instruction on law enforcement and law-related matters, as appropriate.
7. Serve as a resource for students, enabling them to be associated with a law enforcement
figure in the school environment; provide guidance and consultation for students experiencing
problems related to law enforcement, making appropriate referrals.
8. Meet with faculty, staff and parents on an individual basis to deal with specific issues or
problems related to delinquency prevention.
9. Act as liaison between students, parents, school faculty and staff, child protective services,
juvenile prosecutors, juvenile court and probation officers; facilitate communication between all
10. In conjunction with school administration, maintain control of emergency incidents requiring
law enforcement intervention until relieved by police or fire department command personnel.
11. Coordinate non-emergency requests for police services for special events, including, but not
limited to athletic contests and other after-hours student-involved events.
12. Document all actions taken with students and parents in a formal setting.
13. At the request of police and school administrators, make presentations to parent and
community groups on a variety of law enforcement topics.
14. Ensure compliance with school regulations and policies.
15. Give testimony and present evidence in legal proceedings.
16. Serve on 24 hour call for emergencies and/or safety-related issues.
17. Responsible for coordinating maintenance and operations of building surveillance systems
with the IT Department and/or appropriate external vendors.
18. Assist the superintendent and transportation director during inclement weather to determine
the safety of roadways when requested.
19. Perform other duties as required or assigned by the superintendent.
Physical Effort and Work Environment
No prolonged, extreme physical demands are associated with normal duties or assignments, but
the SRO may exert strenuous physical effort during emergency situations. The SRO must
perform duties and take appropriate action in emergency situations, despite the stress associated
with potential injury or loss of life to self or others. The SRO serves on 24-hour call, occasionally
works irregular and/or extended hours, evenings, weekends and travels out of town for training,
Interested candidates should submit a resume and completed classified staff application to:
Dr. Melissa Brisco, Superintendent